Michael and Christyna met during their first class their freshman year in college, but it was not love at first sight.
Christyna shares, “The funny thing is when I first met Michael I did not like him. His boisterous personality was a bit too much for me in the beginning. However, we became really good friends and then best friends.” Their friendship bloomed into love four years after they graduated, and Michael proposed on the campus where their love story began- Clark Atlanta University.
For their wedding, they decided to have a traditional church ceremony, followed by a fabulous ballroom reception where guests tore up the dance floor.
See all of the beautiful details below.
- Couple: Michael and Christyna (Harris) Chambers
- Occupations: Michael (HR Specialist, Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC)) and Christyna (Associate Brand Manager)
- Wedding date: August 31, 2019
- Wedding location: Memphis, TN – Ceremony at Home Church – Greater Life Missionary Baptist Church and Reception at The Cadre Building
- What gifts did you give to your bridesmaids and groomsmen: Bridesmaids: Robe, slippers, miniature champagne, (and I am forgetting something). Groomsmen: Jack Daniel and a cigar (Brother’s Sip & Smoke)
- Ceremony entrance song: Drake – “Nice for What”
- First dance song: Al Green “God Bless Our Love” and Faith “Kissing You”
How did you meet?
Michael and I met during our freshman year at Clark Atlanta University in our very first college class, Honors US., Africa, and World History. The funny thing is when I first met Michael I did not like him. His boisterous personality was a bit too much for me in the beginning, lol! However, we became really good friends and then best friends. It was not until 4 or 5 years after college that Michael and I started dating.
Tell us about the proposal.
We were in Atlanta for our class 10-year reunion. As the senior class president for my class, I led a team in planning and executing a huge 10 year reunion weekend so I was busy all weekend. My birthday was also that weekend. On Sunday, he asked if I wanted to go on campus just to take in the campus and relax after a successful, but very busy weekend. While strolling, we stopped right outside of the Carl & Mary Ware building, which is where we had our 1st college class (together). He proposed to me there. It was just the two of us.
Describe your wedding style.
I desired a fun yet glamorous wedding so we decided on a Black Tie – Preferred wedding. Michael chose a sophisticated and classic Ivory and Black Tuxedo to match my Mermaid style Ivory, Champagne, and Almond Butter dress. The dress did not originally have the bedazzled belt, lol! When I was at the alteration studio, I saw the belt and asked to have it added.
As for my shopping experience, I went to a few places with my mom and sisters! We tried on dresses after dresses after dresses. Initially, I was torn between two beautiful dresses: one dress was a classic, simple and sophisticated dress that fit my personality, but I also loved the details and glamourous design of the one I moved forward with. I knew it was the one because when we added the veil my sister cried and when I showed my Dad the two options he chose the dress with the details and glamorous design. I knew I would look BEAUTIFUL!!
Did you incorporate any culture into your wedding?
We are both members of National Pan-Hellenic organizations. Michael is a member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., initiated in the Alpha Phi Chapter. I am a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., initiated in the Alpha Pi chapter. We incorporated our fraternity and sorority traditions of paying tribute at our reception.
What is your best memory from your wedding?
Ugh, this is a hard one… First, of all, it went by so quickly that it feels like a blur. If I had to choose, I have to share (3) key moments: 1) Walking down the aisle with my Dad seeing Michael crying, which made me emotional, while my sister sang for me. 2) Michael’s sister and her family arriving and seeing them for the first time as I walk down the aisle. We were so happy that she was able to travel. 3) The joy and high energy from everyone at the reception. I mean I watched all the dance videos at least every two weeks, lol! My sister, Nia, and Michael’s line brother, Steve, having a dance-off still brings strong laughter and tears of joy every time. It doesn’t get old.
What is the best wedding advice you can give to engaged couples?
This is both of your day. And, yes, most women dream of this day and may have it planned out in their mind, which is why verbal communication is so important and not allowing unspoken expectations of what you believe the other person should know cause challenges. Be willing to compromise and at the same time be open to creative ways to approach areas where you both have strong opinions.
- Photography: Incredibly Wee (Esmee Kyles) @incrediblywee (IG)
- 2nd Shooter: Timothy Stewart
- Wedding Coordinator: Katie Lipscomb Events @katie.lipscombevents (IG)
- Gown: Low’s Bridal & Formal Shoppe @lowsbridal (IG)
- DJ Entertainment: LaVelle DJ1LUV Salter @dj1luvent (IG)
- Videographer: Teisto Visuals – @teistovisuals (IG)
- Photo Booth: Memphis Foto Booth – IStudio901
- Ceremony Musicians: Gavin Newsome – @gavin.newsome.91 (IG)
- HairStylist: LoveintheHair – @kelthehairstylist (IG)
- Make-Up Artist: @fdartistry (IG)
- Catering: Me and My Tea Room
- Floral & Decor Design: Twigs-n-Things @Twigs-n-Things (IG)
- Ceremony Venue: Greater Life MB Church, Memphis TN;
- Reception Venue: The Cadre Building
- Formals & First Look: Dixon Gallery & Gardens
- Bridal Suite: Hilton Doubletree
- Couple Portraits: Downtown Memphis / Historic Main Street